Here are the reasons, besides no work getting done, I really hate TOSASTWD:
- Some kids are not happy to be where Mom or Dad work and they are fussy, irritable, act out or embarrass their parent.
- Some co-workers who do not have kids feel left out.
- You realize that some coworkers have only a very salty vocabulary not appropriate for the under age crowd.
- You get a look into your coworker’s parenting skills or lack there of.
- Someone will have a very cute 3-6 year old that is very responsive and everyone adores while another person has the child from hell, see #1.
- If your work involves confidential data or personnel, you have to park your son or daughter somewhere else. So what is your child learning?
- A real work issue of immediate importance comes up but it is TOSASTWD, so either it gets shuffled to someone without children or the kids get parked somewhere else until the problem is resolved.
- A Coworker’s feelings can be hurt if gushing is not equal.
- There will be a mess and someone has to clean it up.
- Really NO WORK GETS DONE
Why not just have a party at work and anyone who wants can bring their kids, or take the afternoon off? I would take the afternoon off.
I think a more relevant Holiday would be take your parent to work day, ‘TYPTWD’.
How many of us are really not sure what our adult children do all day for their job? Sure if they have clear career titles like Doctor, Nurse, Teacher, Accountant, Warehouseman, Shipper, we get it. But so many job titles are a bit unclear never mind what the actual job is!
We have had ‘Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day’ long enough. I say it is time to reverse it. Bring your Parent or Aunt or Uncle to work day. At least then, language issues and messy cleanup won’t be a problem!
What about you? How do feel about TODASTWD?