The “M” word isn’t marriage, or muscle or maturity, or male or masculine or music or money or meow but MENOPAUSE. Some time around the last year or two, the word menopause became a word not spoken out loud!
I don’t know what happened. Has a cure for menopause been found? Did women suddenly evolve and not go through menopause? When did the word ‘MENOPAUSE’ become the “M” word?
There seems to be women in the last group of baby boomers, 52-55, who are in total denial that menopause actually will happen to them. Yes every group of women once they hit 50 have those who think they will fool Mother Nature and menopause will not be in their future. But this group seems the most steadfast in denial!
I am only giving an observational, anecdotal conclusion to the “M” word phenomenon. Since I run a company that makes sleepwear for women who experience night sweats, a big side effect of menopause, I am very intimate with the subject!
My list of 5 reasons why we should use the word MENOPAUSE:
- MENOPAUSE happens. If it doesn’t, you are dead
- Rejoice in freedom from tampons and birth control because you are in MENOPAUSE
- Denial does not make it go away. MENOPAUSE happens to every woman
- It is a great excuse for all kinds of behavioral mishaps, you are ‘MENOPAUSAL’
- This isn’t the 1960’s when ‘THE CHANGE” was code for “MENOPAUSE”
Here are my tips about MENOPAUSE:
- Find a MENOPAUSE expert doctor. Your family history will help in plotting a course of action/treatment.
- Make your own choices on how you will deal with this phase of life. Just because your best friend has spent and arm and a leg on every over the counter remedy, does not mean they will work for you or should you even go down that same path!
- If you are on medications, tell all your health care providers you are in MENOPAUSE. Menopause can tweak antidepressant, blood pressure and other maintenance drugs.
- Ask your Mother, older sister or Aunt about their experience with MENOPAUSE. If they say they sailed through without as much as a restless night’s sleep, don’t believe them. They may not remember or they are still in denial!
- Say the word “MENOPAUSE”. Do what Amy Schumer has done for the word ‘Vagina’, with MENOPAUSE!
Are you in denial?