Today when I was thinking on how to fashion a sling on my back for a baseball bat like Michonne in The Walking Dead uses for her saber, I knew I had a problem.
Let me first qualify that I ride my bike in neighborhoods or bike trails or quite streets that have bike lanes. I ride on the same side of the road as cars and when I have to cross a main street I stop and use a pedestrian crosswalk. I don’t try to take a left from the center of the road. I use lights and reflective apparel and never ride in the dark. Except on bike trails I never ride 2 across. In summary I try to be a responsible bicyclist!
Here are my 6 gripes for motorists concerning bicyclists:
- If there is no one coming down the street, drive over a bit into the center of the road. I should not be able to touch your car!
- If there is standing water on the road it is not cool to speed up and spray the bicyclist. Understand my desire for the baseball bat yet?
- If there are parked cars and oncoming traffic, do not scream at me to get out of the way! I am thinking fondly of that bat.
- Do not stop your car at a stop sign and talk on your phone; pull over to the side of the road. I want to get past you! Would a bat pat work?
- Look before you swing open your door when you park your car on the side of the street. Getting doored is not fun, and I will sue you for my injuries.
- Keep your dog in your yard or on a leash. I love dogs, but when your Pit-bull/German Shepard mix rescue dog is charging at me, I am scared. Telling me she is harmless, I really might believe you if she wasn’t lunging at me!
I feel better now after venting! If you see me on the roads, just wave out your window and pull ahead and stop. Do not beep at me and pull along side. I am not saying I have a bat but let’s not leave it up for chance in case I don’t recognize you.
Are you a bicyclist with gripes?