If there is an ongoing cult, love affair with the book ‘A Man Called Ove’, I am a member. I can’t recall the last time a book made me cry/sob and laugh out loud!
I brought my book to the doctor’s office and another patient waiting came over to me and engaged in conversation about the book.
The book is not new so it isn’t like you see everyone reading it on various forms of transportations on various media devices. What the book does offer is that elusive connection of loss, sadness, humor, redemption and recognition.
We all have met an Ove in our lives. Maybe he was an old neighbor, Uncle or Grandfather? Or he was the clerk at the deli or bakery? That person that we thought was a big softy underneath his gruff demeanor.
I don’t recall who recommended the book to me or from what list I first saw the tittle. I know it is on several book recommendation pages. And now I am recommending it too!
The following are 5 guidelines when reading this book:
- If you are reading in public and don’t want to call attention to yourself by outbursts of laughter or sobs of tears, read at home.
- If you are listening to the book while driving, you may have to stop or pull over because of the tears. Safety first!
- If you don’t have another book to read after ‘A Man Called Ove’, read slowly.
- Be prepared for total strangers to engage you in conversation if you read the book in public!
- Prepare yourself to join the cult like following of loving and spreading the word about this book!
Obviously I loved the book! How about you? Are you in the cult of ‘A Man Called Ove’? Do you have a great book to recommend?