- Breast cancer, it happens!
- The number one cause of breast cancer is getting older
- Less than 10% of all breast cancer is genetic
- There is no cure for breast cancer
- There is no one cause for breast cancer
So there you have it! #1 sums it up but most people don’t like to think that. Everyone wants to think it can’t happen to him or her. They are healthy. They are fit. There is no breast cancer in their family, yada yada yada!!
Can you do something except die to prevent breast cancer?
Yes and No.
Here are some good life choices:
- Get a yearly mammogram. If you have a Mother or sister who had breast cancer have your first mammogram 10 years before the age they were at the onset of their disease.
- Eat healthfully. This means meats/dairy/poultry, fish without antibiotics or growth hormones and fruits and vegetables not sprayed, i.e. organic when possible
- Don’t use pesticides in your home/yard. Watch your chemical use.
I wish it was just a few women but loads of women have told me over the years why they did not get a mammogram. Reasons from cost, time, fear, you name the excuse but that is what it is. Mammography is the best way to detect early breast cancer. Early detected breast cancer has over a 90% survival rate!!
Practicing good common sense means seeing a doctor annually and have health insurance. Too often in my advocacy I have seen families financially devastated because they did not buy health insurance. Read #1 again, Breast Cancer Happens! You are healthy until you are not!
Don’t believe the hype over mammography. Just have an annual mammogram and get on with your life! Yes a mammogram is uncomfortable but breast cancer treatments hurt a lot more. Read again #1-#5 at the top of the page!!!
Have you had your yearly mammogram? Do you have one on your schedule?